Welcome to our post marathon blog

Jane, Ian, Brian and Theresa have completed (well all accept Ian who did not start due to injury) the Palma Marathon. All survived and are still running. This is our continuing thoughts. Milly has now started her own blog.

Monday 20 September 2010

Brian here - at last my hamstring/back of knee pain has been relegated to a 'niggle'. Managed a good hilly 20 miler yesterday, up Woodhall, over Crystal Rig windfarm then back home via Elmscleugh. No route was initially planned, with my previously sore leg I thought i'd just run a non-committal distance, and see how it went. I'd never ran up this way before, and I am always intrigued by some of the strange place names deep in the Lammermuirs - 'Dogbush Knowe', 'Boonslie Shank', and some quite sinister - 'Bladdering Cleugh' and 'Bother Cleugh'. I was rather taken by Boonslie Shank so thought I might head loosely that way.

As I passed Woodhall Cottages, Stuart clocked me and he stepped out and we had a timely blether. He put me onto a good route, which gave some much needed focus - a hilly ascent up to Weatherly, up to Crystal Rig then over the moor and through a forest heading for Harehead. Back onto the (barely) B-road and back over to Elmscleugh and home. All went by without too much drama, apart from a couple of herds of boisterous coos getting a bit excited in my presence and some ominous heavy clunks from a turbine as I ran underneath it. All in all a very enjoyable, but slow, upland/moorland route - one of my favourite types of run. 20.04 miles in 3:10 - hardly going to set the heather alight but no real pain to speak of.

No comments:

Post a Comment